A lot of my readers and people I know have been asking me how I care for my hair and what products I would recommend. So I thought I would write a post including all my favourite products and my overall haircare routine.
For those that know me will know about a year ago I had a bit of a hair dye 'disaster'. I dyed my hair and seemed to have an allergic reaction to the product I used. Although I did a patch test no signs of an allergic reaction appeared. As a result my scalp became extra dry and my hair felt like straw. I regretted it immediately and decided to dye my hair back to my natural colour a few weeks later. This is when I began searching for products to repair my hair and improve the overall condition. Over this period of time I learnt a lot of tips and do's and don't s for managing and caring for hair.
My hair is naturally curly and long. For those naturally curly girls out there you know that with curly hair comes dry frizzy hair - so for us extra care for our hair is necessary. For those who do not have curly hair these tips and products can still apply to you :)
Limit the use of electrical appliances
I actually completely stopped using heat on my hair after my hair dye 'disaster' this meant no straighteners, no curling irons and no hair dryer, and I decided to embrace my curls. I know for some of you this may be difficult but definitely a reduction in the use of these products will almost certainly help improve the condition of your hair. And if you are using such appliances then ALWAYS use a heat protection product, this is a definite must.
Wash hair less often
I know some may think this is disgusting however for anybody, over washing you hair is damaging. Particularly for those with dry hair. Over washing your hair can cause your scalp and hair to become even dryer and can also cause damage to your hair. Overall, giving the appearance of dull and frizzy hair. Which is not what we want.
Almond oil and castor oil
After reading in various places around how to relieve a dry scalp I came across almond oil. Almond oil is amazingly moisturising for the hair and scalp which is easily absorbed and therefore will not leave your hair feeling greasy - unless you apply too much of course. Almond oil is also great because it can be used as a body moisturiser and can even be used during shaving. I purchased mine for a cheap price at Holland and Barratt. With almond oil I also mix castor oil. Castor oil is of a thick consistency so should never be used on its own. Castor oil helps with growth of the hair and I have previously written a review on this multi purpose product previously. So be sure to check that out.
To begin I mix the two products in the palm of my hand and massage with my fingertips into the scalp after having a shower. I apply almond oil on its own to the lengths and ends of my hair also. I only do these steps when my hair is damp then I comb through with a wide toothed comb to help distribute the oil.
Macadamia natural oil - healing oil treatment
This oil is my 'go to' oil and I use this every other day or on a daily basis depending on how dry my hair is. I apply about 1/2 a pump or less to the palm of my hands (a little goes a long way). I then rub the oil between my palms to heat the oil and then I apply to the lengths and ends of my hair. It leaves my hair smelling amazing, super soft and hydrated and protected from weather conditions. The product I purchased was from beautybay where they also sell some other great brands - one of my favourite sites I have to say.
Deep condition
It is always important to deep condition now and again for those who have dry hair. The products I use are coconut oil - which I have reviewed previously. And also mayonnaise (yes I know this sounds disgusting but the end results are worth it).
Coconut oil comes in a solid formula so first I need to melt the product before use. I usually tend to fill up my sink with hot water and leave the coconut oil jar in the sink allowing the product to melt. I then pour however much I need into a bowl. I then massage into my scalp and apply all over my hair. It is best to either brush or comb out your hair before applying. I then place a shower cap on to trap heat inside enabling the product to work better. I then wash the product out and follow up with my usual shampoo and conditioner.
When using mayonnaise I apply to the scalp and hair and place a shower cap over the top. And then wash out and follow with my usual shampoo and conditioner. The only downside to this is that it smells disgusting but it is definitely great at conditioning and giving your hair a protein boost.
Both of these provide silky smooth results for your hair. There are many other DIY deep conditioning hair masks which can also provide great results also. Be sure to let me know your favourites.
SLS free shampoo
Sulfates are an ingredient which can dry out your scalp and hair very easily and that is why I steer well clear. For those who suffer with a dry scalp and dry hair check out my review of the TIGI sulfate free shampoo. It works wonders.
I know this post is a little lengthy but I wanted to include as much information as I could for you all :) And I hope I helped some of you.
|Youtube|Twitter|Facebook|Instagram|Tumblr|Pinterest|Bloglovin|

No comments:
Post a Comment