Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... RACISM: MISCONCEPTIONS AROUND TERRORISM - F A R A H | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

Wednesday, 17 December 2014

RACISM: MISCONCEPTIONS AROUND TERRORISM

This has been a topic that I have wanted to write about for a while, and may be classed as quite controversial. 

I personally get a lot of hate and racism myself, and also see this across social media on a daily basis, in regards to others branding Muslims as 'terrorists' or 'evil' people.

Firstly, on the topic of racism I get hatred often, still to this day, with individuals commenting saying things such as, "go back to my own country" etc. However, I was born in Britain and so were my parents, so I personally find this very ignorant for others to say such things. There is also growing percentages of inter-racial marriages and people classing themselves as mixed race. So why is there still so much discrimination?

I feel that the media has a big part to play in this. The fact is that Britain is a multi-cultural country and always has been. Before the Romans, these islands were home to a range of tribes. Surely we should embrace diversity?

Moving on to the portrayal of 'Islam'...
In the media you will noticeably see Muslims being portrayed as 'bad'. However, this does not mean all Muslims are bad people. I do not condone any of the behaviour which I have seen over recent months in the media, and I do not condone some of the actions which individuals take because of this, and I myself am a Muslim. Islam is about peace NOT conflict. Those who say they are doing certain acts of violence for their religion are NOT practising the religion, and are what we call extremists.

Humanity causes violence, not religion.

So why are Muslims branded as terrorists or bad people?

And why am I?

I try to help others, give to charity and genuinely want to make the world a better place?

It just does not make sense.

The fact is there are misconception towards the word 'terrorism'. Terrorism is in fact the use of violence and threats. And many seem to hear or see the word and automatically think and link this to Islam. The media does it themselves. All in all, there is a lack of knowledge and a whole lot of ignorance, and it is upsetting to see.


However, to me it is simple, regardless of race, religion, culture etc, there are good and bad people in this world. It is about the person themselves and their own choices, thoughts and values. RELIGION or RACE has no part to play in whether you are a good or bad person.


Stand up to racism

2 comments:

  1. great post, i love that quote too. i think the media has always looked for a scapegoat and it seems Islam and Muslims are their current target. intelligent people know that there are good and bad in all communities but unfortunately there will always be a small minority who want to blindly hate and discriminate. i'm so saddened that you have faced hatred. we are all just people trying to live our lives so why some ppl are so toxic i have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly agreed. Thanks for your feedback on this one x

      Delete